Friday 18 October 2013

Afternoon Tea at the Library

                            


   Hello  Everyone!
 
  Lady M still here and for one more week before Sofia and Donald return from their travels. As many of you know she goes out on a Monday for afternoon tea at a local library. It is the Langley Library in Sandwell where many activities are offered throughout the week. For the 'Over 55's' there's tea/coffee and cakes from 2.30 until 4.00 p.m. on a Monday afternoon.        
                                                                                                         
Well, she didn't need asking twice! The library staff provide the tea and coffee and one of them makes excellent cakes. We pay £1 and it goes to charity. It's  the Macmillan Cancer Nurses, I think! There's usually between 6 and 9 of us gathered round two tables in the centre of the main library room. We use it as a social occasion for chit-chat and humour as well as discussing and selecting library books.
 You'll have noticed that I, as an author, like my books noticed! The local community know I refer to them as my 'babies' and I always look on the shelf and see how many are still there and how many are out in homes being read. If they stay on the shelf too long I make sure someone takes them home for a change of scenery. Sandra, above has the right idea as she fosters Time & Tide. Sandra, with Pauline and Maureen right are tucking into tea and cakes midst much laughter and joking. Ladies, thank you for brightening my Mondays!

 Gone are the days of libraries being places of reading, research or book selection in silence. They are now focal points of communities with numerous activities. More about that next week but before then, if you've not ventured into your local library since childhood days why not make it a kind of 'first' and pop in and see how its changed. You'll be amazed.

Lady M.
                                             

6 comments:

  1. I went to the library the other day and it was really busy! It was nice to see that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. We need to ensure that our libraries survive through the changing times.

      Delete
  2. Lovely post about our Langley Library. I wish Monday was one of my work days there so I could see you all, but if there are any of Marilyn's wonderful cakes left over I enjoy one when I get to work on Tuesday morning! I think it's a great place for people to meet friends and we appreciate it even more when you borrow lots of our books as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go mad! Go to work on your afternoon off just for fun. Stay tuned for next week's post specifically on Langley Library's activities.

      Delete
    2. I will! And please have a look at http://blackcountrylibrarian.wordpress.com/ for my thoughts on libraries, reading, books and Langley library in particular. I've even borrowed one of your photos - but with links to your blog, of course!

      Delete
    3. Have been to your blog. Interesting. We have to do all we can to keep libraries going.

      Delete